Thursday 13 December 2012

Color bleeding in Fuji X-E1

400% crop from the unedited image (click to see a bigger version)

In sharp contrast with the rest of unhappy people, all unhappy owners of Fuji cameras with X-Trans sensor are all alike. Their unhappiness arises from three major sources: absence of decent third party RAW processing software, color bleeding or smearing, and slow autofocus.

I am a lucky guy because I mainly shoot JPEGs with Fuji, and after couple weeks I found that the autofocus on Fuji X-E1 with XF18-55mm lens is more than adequate for me. Obviously, I was tempted to see the famous color bleeding. Who wouldn't?

Just a brief intro: the color bleeding in images from X-Trans sensor depends on processing, and in mild form causes a color cast (white stripes in red background may have red tint) while severe color bleeding looks like a smear. Severe bleeding appeared in early versions on third-party RAW development software. A very good example of color smearing is present in Thom Hogan's review of Fuji X-Pro1.

The most obvious target for color bleeding test would be a STOP sign. I was so desperate to see the smearing that I walked through local street in search for a STOP sign. I even made a couple shots of these signs. I didn't like the pictures. Than I found NO SMOKING sign plus some white writing on blue background in one picture taken at the University campus. This is _not_ a test shot. Call it real life image. The blown-out fragments of unedited image are posted here, and the edited image (levels, unsharpen mask) is here.

Frankly, if all other cases of the color smearing are similar, I would not worry much. At that level the photo has other visible problems. Look on letter "m" in the "blue" image in buish writing on white background. To me it is more unpleasant and obvious that the reddish letter of NO SMOKING sign. The X-Trans sensor struggles on regular patterns, nothing new here.

If the fidelity of the reproduction of color image is important, than Sigma SD1M probably is the best choice for someone who don't mind to shoot and process RAW. My preference for Fuji X-E1 over Sigma DP2M is due to good JPEGs. I just don't have time and skills to process RAW.

400% crop from the unedited image (click to see a bigger version)

No comments:

Post a Comment