Sunday 30 December 2012

Blame a hammer for a bent nail


This is a misanthropic post provoked by several "autofocus" threads on DPReview forum dedicated to Fujifilm X system / DSLR cameras. It is know fact that current mirrorless cameras do not focus with the same speed as DSLRs. None. Nikon 1 cameras come close but with 1" sensor and deep DoF. Big APS-C sensors require better precision in focussing. The autofocus speed on CSC is generally acceptable for static subjects. If the snappy focus is required, get a DSLR. Want to have sharp pictures of running dogs or jumping kids - get a  DSLR. A good DSLR. Olympus OM-D EM-5 might be slightly better than Fuji in autofocus but it does not match a good DSLR for continuos autofocus.

I have higher rate of in focus pictures with both Fuji X10 and X-E1 than with my Olympus E-30. It does not mean that the Oly is a bad camera. I just don't use it much anymore. My shooting style is now adapted to compact (x10) and mirrorless (X-E1) cameras. With both Fujifilm cameras I can get sharp pictures at lower shutter speed compared to Olympus E-30. In-lens OIS works great, and probably lack of mirror slap also helps a lot. In addition, my ZUIKO 50-200mm SWD has some focus issue at close distance at 200mm which can be really frustrating. I think my "keepers" rate with the E-30 was higher before acquisition of Fuji X10. More practice with the camera, nothing else.

Fuji X-E1 & XF18-55mm autofocus is not perfect but it is perfectly usable for me. The camera struggles with low contrast subjects at horizon or clouds but this can be easily resolved by "focus and recompose". After using the X-E1 for a month I start to "feel" the camera autofocus.  It is not instant but generally it takes a fraction of second to focus on static subjects. It does not mean that all my pictures are in focus. Occasionally the camera would focus on a grass in background, not on the flower, or wind might be too strong. But even I got fairly sharp pictures of jumping kangaroos with X-E1 and XF18-55mm (I am not in an action photography by any means).

I guess my expectations for cameras are pretty low, and I do not change the cameras very often. As a result I am generally very impressed and satisfied with my cameras. I learned that every camera has certain limitations and also requires some experience for better results. But on camera forums people generally blame cameras, not themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment