Tuesday 20 November 2012

X-Pro1 is cheaper than X-E1 now


The world is really dynamic. Fuji X-Pro1 was announced in January this year, at price ~$1,700. Ten months later, in November, the camera and 35mm lens kit is offered for $1,598 (this price in Australian dollars). The lens alone cost over $600 ($625 in the same shop). The price for the body was halved in less than one year. In the same shop X-E1 kit with the same 35mm lens is listed for $1,698. So, now X-P1 is cheaper than X-E1.

Compare this price drop to Fuji X100: here in Australia we finally got $200 discount for the camera released in 2010. This is equal to about 15% drop in two years. Fuji X10 is now also discounted for ~5% after one year (I am talking about Australian shops here not a grey market import). What is going on with X-Pro1? With the latest firmware the X-P1 is as snappy as X-E1, and the image quality is apparently identical between these two models. It has marvellous hybrid viewfinder. How come that the camera positioned as a Pro model is cheaper than the "enthusiast" sibling released in the same year?

The whole situation looks like a PR(?) debacle for the company. The X cameras are a niche product: you get special things at a premium price. The word "overpriced" is not applicable for a niche product. However, people buying this type of goods generally do not expect to see it on sale for a half price just couple months later unless it is an airplane ticket to Australia during the holiday season :-). While it may help to lure new users, it also punishes the early adopters of the system. Even if Fujifilm will announce X-Pro2 early next year as rumored, the price drop is just huge for such short time. I guess the company over-estimated the demand for X-Pro1 due to the huge success of X100 and now has a big stockpile of the cameras in their warehouses. If indeed X-Pro2 will get "hybrid" autofocus with phase-detection or significantly increase the readout for contrast detection and EVF, it will will be very hard to sell the previous model.

Frankly, I feel that the current price for X-Pro1 is in line with other top level mirrorless system cameras. After all, the world is dynamic.

PS
All companies drop prices for their products. For example, Nikon 1 V1 and J1 also undergone a huge price drop recently but these models were not aimed on a niche market.

PSS
I still prefer X-E1 to X-Pro1. I expect the EVF would be a better match for the zoom lens, and the smaller and lighter body is a plus for me. IMHO Fuji got the camera controls just right, and I don't mind to pay a premium for a camera I would like to use. There are plenty good mirrorless system cameras with different type of controls, such as Olympus E-PL5 or some Sony NEX models, but I do like buttons :) I may change my opinion in the future. The problem is the cameras are very expensive toys. I wish I can find any affordable Australian version of LensRentals, to try new cameras for a week or two. Playing with a camera in a shop is not really informative for me. I need more time. After all, I can change my shooting habits as it happens after acquisition of Fuji X10.

No comments:

Post a Comment