Monday 9 January 2012

Fujifilm X10: part 3 (after picture)

Beehive Ginger, Zingiber spectabile. January 9, 2012 | flickr

It seems that I have "love and hate" attitude towards the Fuji X10. It is joy to use, and it produces great images (= I like the photos) but yesterday even the spare battery went flat during shooting. Very inconvenient. It is only part of the story. Here is the rest of it. For some awkward reason the SD card from the X10 does not work with the card reader I have. Actually I have two card readers, and it used to work with the second one. Not anymore. So, the only way to copy the pictures from the camera to the computer is to connect the camera to the computer. But there is a catch, too: the Fuji X10 does not have a standard mini-USB port, so the cables I use to connect external hard drives or ebook reader cannot be used with the X10. And, on top of it, the camera must be turned on for connection! That's why I started with the flat batter issue. So, in order to copy the pictures on third party computer/storage I need to have the dedicated cable, camera charger and access to a power point. Think camping, for example.

I can charge my four-years old ebook reader through the standard mini-USB cable connected to a computer and can copy files in parallel.Why the same was not implemented in the advanced compact?

I don't know if the card issue is related to the non-brand SD card I have, card readers or the camera. The card reader works fine with the SD card from the ebook reader. The same card reader would not recognize the SD card from the camera if connected to the computer running under the Vista or XP. Two days ago I spend more than one hour in order to copy less than 20 images from the camera because the camera was not recognized  by the computer. Aghrrr...

The X10 is the first "SD card" camera I use, and I know people who have issues with the brand SD cards on Nikon DSLRs. So, I don't know how common "SD card" problems. I am long time Olympus user, and I don't recollect that any of my SM, xD or Compact Flash cards have similar issues. Olympus is also notorious for a proprietary cables for their cameras which was/is extremely inconvenient.

As for pictures from X10... This one was taken at iso 100, F7.1, on tripod. Below is 100% crop from the unedited image.

No comments:

Post a Comment