Wednesday 4 January 2012

Fuji X10, orbs, and human psychology

Photo: December 22, 2011 | flickr
It seems that Fuji X10’s orbs story is still going up judging from threads in the dpreview forum. I have the X10 for more than one month now, and we took nearly 2,000 pictures during this time. I found these white disks in one image, and wrote an ironic post about it. Well, I hope people would consider it as ironic. May be some other photos also have orbs, but I have not seen anything that would make me worry about it. Again, I do not shoot shiny chromo Harley Davidson motorbikes (or something similar) in bright sun.

I have not seen white disks in shots taken with flash, even on Cane toad skin. The photos of silicon bricks do have white spots but the same true for pictures from Olympus DSLR camera. But why anyone wants to shoot silicon bricks with flash?

Here is a picture of Hardy Tapioca on cloudy day. The exposure compensation was set to +1.7 in order to overexpose the sky. I have not checked this image extensively but at first glance the overexposure does not produce any orbs in such situation. IMHO, the camera handled the shot extremely well, without any prominent chromatic aberrations (see the 100% crop below).

I guess I can make obrs, too, but why? It is more or less obvious that in some situations (e.g., shiny surface in direct light) people need to be more careful. I doubt that orbs will be the limiting factor for me, even in "big prints". The mushy areas in shady parts of images are the bigger concern for me. But X10 is an advanced compact camera with small sensor, not DSLR.

What I don’t understand: why the orbs issue was blown out of proportion and so many people post orbs instead of explaining how to avoid appearance of white discs?

2 comments:

  1. I can answer if you don't mind:

    Because I take shots 90% at night and it in my case was a lot more than 1 in 2000. Please do not judge others based on your experiences alone, it is very very arrogant. How would you feel if you spent a quarter of your wage on something that does not work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the comment. I am not trying to dismiss the orb story. I did a few test shots for orbs and got the white discs in these test images (also posted in this blog). It is shame that the camera positioned and priced as a premium compact has such issue. The price of Olympus XZ1 is about 2/3 of the X10 price here in Brisbane. But I am glad that I bought the X10 before learning about the orbs. I would think twice before buying X10 now (and probably would not buy it because of the orb story) but in reality the orbs do not interfere with the photography I am doing, and I am very happy with pictures I am getting from the camera. That is what I am trying to say. There are other frustrating things about X10 but I can cope with that.

      Delete