Friday 19 October 2012

What camera should I buy?

All happy photographers are alike: they take pictures. The unhappy photographers ask what camera should they buy. No doubt, the spectrum of unhappiness is significantly wider. Some people do intensive pixel peeping, some shoot brick walls aka test samples, some argue about brand A over brand B on various forums, etc. It seems that this unhappiness is not even linked to photography but rather associates with the believe in existence of an ultimate camera. Obviously, the good images can be taken only with such ultimate camera.

So, why people are not happy with their equipment? Some  problems can be easily resolved. Want fast camera with long lens for wild life photography? Just decide on lenses, and get any DSLR. DSLRs are cheap in these days. Does not like bulk and weight of a DSLR? Get superzoom. It comes with compromise in image quality. Formulate the problem. The solution is simple.

The other issue is the "latest model" hype. I have one, I know. It is irrational. For example, early models of Olympus PEN cameras should produce images either identical or better than my Olympus E-30. The first PEN models, refurbished or new, cost just fraction of what I paid for the E-30. PENs are small capable cameras. But I would not buy such old models. Obviously, the image quality on cameras such as Nikon D7000 or D5100 is better than on Oly E-30 or PENs but I am generally satisfied with the pictures from the E-30. I don't like size, weight and small viewfinder, but this is another story.

In some sense, I perceive the cameras as toys. I do like new toys. I already ordered some filters, adapters and spare parts for a new camera because Fujifilm makes very addictive cameras. You start with a light stuff such as X10, but within less one year you realise that you want need more. There should be a law prohibiting people from having more than one working camera :) Or maybe the company should put sticker with warning on camera box, something like "buying Fuji cameras is addictive".

I am still hesitating about Fuji X-E1 because vast majority of pictures taken with this camera and posted on flickr were either taken at night or depict food. I am firmly believe that cameras affect human personality, so it is possible that acquisition of the Fuji camera may dramatically change my lifestyle and I will wander in the night from one eatery to another in search of next plate of delicious meal, for sake of photography of cause. In this sense Olympus OM-D E-M5 is a safer bet for me because I saw plenty nature pictures taken with it, so it probably would not transform my life dramatically.

Cormorant, Turtle, and Coot
At the UQ lake, St Lucia, Brisbane | Olympus E-30, ZUIKO 50-200mm F2.8-F3.5 SWD

No comments:

Post a Comment