Tuesday 23 October 2012

Waiting for Fuji X-E1

Recently I started to read Fuji X system / DSLR forum on the dpreview. It seems that I am not the only one who don't mind to swap DSLR for mirror less because of size and weight. Frankly, DSLRs now are more functional, flexible and "complete" than any mirrorless system. Even full-frame DSLRs such as Nikon D600 do not cost arm and leg anymore. Lens choice, excellent optical viewfinders, fast focus, battery life - just these few things put to shame any current mirrorless system. Nevertheless quite a few people swap their DSLRs for compact system cameras because of weight and size. For them the image quality and features of CSC are good enough. Not better than DSLR but just good enough. I have not followed this trend after release of Olympus OM-D but it is quite visible now in Fuji forum. The X-Pro1 was relatively big and heavy, was priced as a niche camera, and as "primes only" was aimed on narrow group of photographers. Just to be clear: this group is not small, but addition of the first zoom lens, XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS, and release of smaller, lighter and cheaper X-E1 make the X system attractive for a wider group of people than it used to be just a few months ago.

I can cope with the colour smearing of X-Trans sensor or artefacts around italic texts noted by some users in X-Pro1 photographs. I suspect these problems appear in very limited situations and have negligible effect on nature or street photography. I have "orb-generating machine", Fuji X10, and did non even bother to replace the sensor because the famous white discs appear in specific situations / shooting conditions, and for me the sensor blooming in Fuji X10 is completely irrelevant. But occasionally I come across posts stating the superiority of Canon and Nikon cameras for nature-oriented photography over X-Pro1 / X-E1. My personal experience with Fuji X10 is very positive, but I do not use high saturation (Velvia) mode for landscapes. I tried a couple times, and the results were… hmmm very vivid. As for Provia mode - I do like nature shots from the X10. On top of that, it seems that majority of Fuji X-Pro1 users are street photographers working exclusively at night…

Unfortunately, both Canon and Nikon do not make CSC camera I like to have. I prefer to have I" sensor in a camera with fixed lens and macro capability. I just don't see any reason to have CSC with such sensor and slow lenses. As for Canon… I'd rather wait to see what plans Canon has for CSCs.

This left me with m4/3 and NEX. I use Olympus digital cameras for more than 10 years. The latest offerings such as OM-D E-M5 or EP-L5 look very interesting. I don't like digital lens correction but it seems that in these days everyone do it to some extend. It is possible to get better lenses than kits, and Olympus primes are good. If Olympus will indeed release PEN with EVF a-la NEX-6 or Fuji X-E1, it can be a really attractive camera, especially with OM-D type user interface. Olympus OM-D is very good all-around camera with tilt screen, external controls and good EVF. After a brief play with the camera I had impression that the OM-D is somewhat small for my hands. Also, I don't like the hump in the middle of the camera. On other hand, Fuji X-Pro1 was very comfortable camera to handle, and I suspect the same will apply to X-E1 due to similar form factor: X-E1 slightly shorter and narrower (?) but it should not change the handling of the camera. I have not tied NEX cameras and cannot say anything about handling.

Surprisingly, I have not seen any major negative comments about Fuji X-E1 even on Fujifilm X forum on dpreview. Very positive sign.

And while waiting for the release of X-E1 zoom kit, I do take pictures with my cameras. It is all about pictures, isn't it? :-) Why I need to justify a new toy?

Eurasian Coot
Eurasian Coot | Olympus E-30, ZUIKO 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 SWD

No comments:

Post a Comment