Thursday 2 February 2012

Pentax K-01

OK, the new Pentax mirrorless camera with K-mount will be announced within hour or even less. I am quite excited about this camera right now, for several reasons. Actually, I was really amused when the rumors about the K-01 appeared. You gonna be kidding: SLR mount on mirrorless camera! It will make the whole thing big. So, what is the point? Now I think it actually do have a certain pluses.

In SLR cameras the flange focal distance is essentially limited by mirror movement, so the rear end of the lens would not go deep into camera body. However, mirrorless camera have no mirror (by definition : ) ) so technically the rear end of the lens can protrude from the lens mount into camera. At least, I don't see any reason why it cannot be accomplished. In this case the lens mount might be in the middle of the lens, as on my  home-made cartoon in which brick-like rectangles represent camera bodies : )) It is a view from the top : )  In this case the whole camera (body + lens) can be very similar in size to other mirrorless cameras.


I can see several benefits of such design. First, from the start, the system will have many lenses available. In meantime Pentax can produce new lenses by shifting position of the lens mount. Considering that the SLR mount (K mount) is quite wide, design of such "in body" lenses will be quite flexible. If part of a lens will be inside a camera, it might be easy to make weather-resistant lens, especially if the moving part will be in a camera. The bigger body can use standard tripod plates, and probably can be more balanced on tripod, especially with medium-sized lens without tripod collar. 

Of cause, it is just my speculations, but I hope that Pentax will show serious commitment to this system.

I am also very curious about new Olympus, E-M5, OM-D, or whatever it will be called. What a great year for mirrorless camera! :-)

UPDATE. So, the camera was announced on time : ) I think it is the first DSLR-looking camera without any viewfinder. The camera weight is > 500 g. Add 50-200 mm lens, at about 300 g, and the total weight is over 800 g. Or add 55-300 mm, and you end up with about 1 kg. Try to shot handheld with the camera in straight hands (no viewfinder). On top of it, the rear screen is fixed. I afraid the company had shot itself in the foot (second time). Of cause, it is possible that I missed the announcement of the viewfinder... I bet the camera with long lens will be quite usable on a tripod. I wish the K-01 had a Minolta A2-like body with tiltable viewfinder and screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment