Monday 27 February 2012

Olympus and Panasonic

I use Olympus digital cameras for many years. I would not call it brand loyalty. When (occasionally) people ask me what camera they should buy I generally recommend other brands (there are exceptions like XZ-1). Anyway, I am very interested in the latest m3/4 Olympus camera, OM-D E-M5, but I suspect the Australian price will be inhibitory for me: E-P3 with 14-42mm lens costs here ~1k AUD, and I would not be surprised if the price of E-M5 will surpass the price of Panasonic GH2. On other hand, price of Panasonic G3 with similar lens is 900 AUD, and it is already available. In many aspects Olympus OM-D E-M5 is somewhat better than the G3 but the image quality should be more or less similar. But Oly will cost more, and I would rather spend money on lenses. Sp, for me the G3 is quite attractive alternative to the OM-D E-M5. Nikon V1 is also quite attractive with its' size and price (but it has no buttons:)). Kirk Tuck recently posted very interesting description of his experience with the G3, and it seems that he was "condemned" even for suggestion that G3 is a good camera. Now he published his response/follow-up post.

I don't have plans for immediate upgrade. My Olympus E-30 is still working fine, and I shoot a lot with the Fuji X10 since I bought it. I can wait and see what would appear on the market. Unfortunately, the megapixel race is still going on. The pixels become smaller, and low contrast regions have no details. The files are huge. I guess for me Panasonic G2 will be even better alternative because right now it is nearly twice cheaper than G3, but the quality should be close to current Olympus PEN cameras. It is even cheaper than some advanced compacts:

G2+14-42mm: 500AUD
Nikon P7100: 600AUD
Fuji X10: 700AUD

No comments:

Post a Comment