Friday 24 May 2013

Affordable X mount camera from Fuji


I am a new convert of the the Fujifilm world. The decision was made to go mirrorless, and I was torn between Olympus and Fujifilm. On one hand, I shoot Olympus since the start of millennia when I had acquired 2MP Olympus C2020. On other hand, I was not really happy with layout of Olympus PEN or OM-D camera. The OM-D E-M5 is a bit small for my hands. In meantime I got hooked on Fuji UI and colors after we bought Fuji X10 as a family camera. The two reason for going mirrorless were size of the camera and lenses, and small viewfinder on my 4/3 DSLR. The Fuji X-Pro1 is way too expensive, and primes are not very flexible for shooting during bushwalking or hiking. I've grabbed Fuji X-E1 zoom kit once it first appeared in Australia, and since than time the DSLR gear stays locked in the closet. The X-E1 is a very mid-range camera, light and relatively compact compared to DSLR. The XF18-55mm lens is also mid-range, bigger and better than standard kit zooms for both mirrorless and DSLR cameras.

Now we expect at least one entry-level X camera from Fujifilm at affordable price. The camera would not have a build-in viewfinder and probably will have less controls. Think XF1 and X10/X20. However, there is an apparent issue, namely, lack of a small affordable zoom lens for such camera. The entry level CSC models from Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony have a compact affordable zooms, e.g. Samsung 20-50mm. Obviously, Fuji can fit the "X-M1" with pancake, and it might be appealing to certain people. It even will be very popular among street shooters or some other groups. So, in this case it probably will be a niche product, with a somewhat limited attraction for am average person. Nikon A is not selling as hot cakes, at least according to Amazon.

Would I be interested in a smaller standard zoom lens for X mount? In other words, would I be happy to carry a smaller camera/lens combo on an average day? Yes, but it depends on price. Some kind of a compact zoom for a casual / everyday use would be a nice option, especially if it will have a better macro capability. It probably would not go on my hiking trips where I am hoping to use the wide angle and tele zoom lenses and ignore the standard zoom altogether. In this case a light second body can be very attractive, especially combined with the wide zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment