Saturday 30 March 2013

Nikon A is DxOMarked

Nikon Coolpix A was tested and scored by DxOMark.  I don't know how these numbers are related to photography but some people might be interested. I am surprised to see how well an old Fuji X100 (announced in 2010) holds against the new Nikon. While sensor in Nikon A wins in every aspect, the difference is not huge. Current Australian price of Fuji X100 is about $850, and I expect Nikon A will be priced way over $1200 in local shops, probably higher than Fuji X100S. Obviously, the cameras are very different. The Fuji is not pocketable, the focal length is different, and so on. People interested in compact camera with 28nn (eqv) lens will be happy. But the current price of Fuji X100 is very tempting...

I tried Fuji X100 in local shop long time ago. The camera is a bit heavy for my taste. It is very comfortable, and the viewfinder is very good, but personally I prefer a slightly lighter camera. I've bought X-E1, not X-Pro1, and both size and weight were important factors influencing my choice. Would I sacrifice hybrid viewfinder in favour of EVF on X100-type camera? It is hard to say because I have not used X100 or X100S. I know that on Fuji X-E1 the electronic viewfinder is very comfortable to my eyes, and the optical viewfinder on Fuji X10 is not really helpful, and very painful. Yes, the viewfinders on X10 and X100 are apples and veggies, not even oranges. But it seems that Fuji X-E1 is more popular than X-Pro1, so it is not unreasonable to suggest that "enthusiast" version of X100S (Fujifilm X100E) with a standard EVF and smaller, lighter body can be very popular. I like thickness of Fuji X100, but don't mind to see the body slightly reduced in other dimensions, similar to X-Pro1 > X-E1 evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment