Sunday 10 March 2013

Macro options on Fuji X

Leichhardt tree
Flower of Leichhardt tree | Fuji X-E1 & XF18-55mm (crop)

I take many pictures in near-macro range. Well, I used to, with Fuji X10. The XF18-55mm lens that I have does not focus close. It is not a huge issue, but in some situations I would like to have a higher magnification. I can get XF60mm F2.4 R macro lens but it has a shallow depth of field, and I don't like this. I can use X10 but I already got hooked on image quality of Fuji X-E1. Another option would be to get Fuji X100 or X100S: both cameras focus at 10cm in Macro mode. The DoF is bigger at 23mm than at 60mm, and the magnification probably will be more or less sufficient for me, especially with 16MP sensor. The focal length on X100S might be a reasonable compromise between supermacro on X10 where shading from the lens creates problems narrow DoF of the 60mm macro.

I searched flickr for "nature" macro shots taken with X100. Here are some that I like:
f4 resized
another flower at f5.6

hi-res photo with good DoF (f5.6), and very beautiful macro from the same person taken on Fuji X-E1 and XF18-55mm lens.

some bug (wasp)
cactus flower at f5.6
flower at f8

No comments:

Post a Comment