Tuesday 7 August 2012

Going out with Olympus E-30


Kennedia rubicunda
Kennedia rubicunda | Olympus E-30, fill-in flash

It is nice season in Brisbane now, end of the "winter", so a lot of plants are flowering. The temperature is very comfortable during daytime, and the humidity is low. On weekend I went on short hike in local bush (dry eucalypt forest) near Mt Coot-tha with Olympus E-30 and 14-54mm lens. The camera is not used much since we got Fuji X10, and it seems that forgot how to use it properly. It turned out that many images were blurry or not sharp. I blame wind and mirror slap for that. Generally I use the camera at low iso (200) and for flowers I need big DoF, so the shutter speed is low.

It is so pleasant to take pictures within a couple hours without even thinking about battery. Optical viewfinder gives a good view even in bright sun. It was good and pleasant walk, and I got quite a few pictures of plants for the identification.

My DSLR camera is about four years old. In these days I can buy early models of Olympus mirrorless cameras with similar sensor, such as EP1, for 300AUD in Photo Continental.  The current models are more expensive, for example, in Teds Cameras Olympus PEN E-PL3 is priced for 650AUD, which is a small fraction of the price I paid for the Olympus E-30. So, now I can get a camera with the image quality similar or better than my DSLR for a fraction of the price.

No doubt, Olympus OM-D E-M5 is better camera than early PENs, and I like it more than PENs (I love buttons) but for that money it is possible to buy two E-PL3, and Sony A55 with its marvelous 16MP sensor costs 700AUD for the body only


Hardenbergia violacea
Hardenbergia violacea | Olympus E-30

No comments:

Post a Comment