Sunday 2 September 2012

Just usual grumbling

I am not the only person interested in new (rumoured) mirrorless camera from Fuji, X-E1. There are numerous posts/blogs/comments on the web dedicated to this camera. It seems that many posters are unhappy with new cheaper camera offering a better autofocus than X-Pro1. We are talking about _rumoured_ specification, of cause. I guess these are the early adopters of the Fuji's X system aka owners of Fuji X-Pro1. But frankly cameras do evolve quickly, and new technology sometimes make things cheaper and better. After all, it was known from the day one (release date) that the X-Pro1 does not have the fastest  autofucus compared to the best mirrorless cameras in this area. It was expensive camera from day one, unless you compare it to Leica. And Leica is also not know for fast autofocus. The only difference is that nobody expect to see a cheap camera from Leica :)

I do like photos from Fuji X10, the colours in JPEGs are just look right with AUTO White Balance in most situations. I would like to have a camera with bigger sensor with similar colours. [Yes, I know that it is possible to get any colour with raw processing but I don't have such skills]. The X-Pro1 was / is a bit expensive and big for me. I love handling, it is very comfortable but I am not ready to pay three grands for body and couple lenses. It probably worth every penny but it is way too much for a casual shooter like me. New X-E1 for half of that amount with zoom lens can be a good entree into the system. I probably would not shoot in RAW if the JPEGs are good enough: I am a shutter bug, and as long as I can get acceptable image I will be happy. I have not learned how to use SilkyPix with Fuji X10 RAW files, and I don't want to spend time of this software.

Olympus E-M5 is also very attractive but at the moment I prefer JPEGs from Fuji. Olympus has a consistent JPEG output with warm pleasant colours but I found Fuji images a tad more attractive for me. May be my preference of Fuji is also affected by usability of compact camera (Fuji X10) compared to bulky DSLR and lenses I also use. I don't need a small or pocketable camera, it needs to be smaller and lighter than a DSLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment