Thursday 29 December 2011

Fujifilm X10: RAW or JPEG?


 I spent more time with the SILKYPIX software and RAW files from Fuji X10 but without obvious progress. The converted images are soft and dull compared to out of camera JPEGs. So, I ended up with GIMP and color adjustment in OOC JPEG. I may play with SILKYPIX a little bit more but it seems that shooting RAW with X10 is not usable option for me right now. It is not a deal breaker for me, the JPEGs out of camera are good and have smaller size compared to RAF files (RAW images from X10). 

There are several threads on SILKYPIX in Fuji X10 group on flikr, and it seems that other people also have similar problems with the RAW developer. To be fair, several experienced users of SILKYPIX from this group are reasonably happy with quality of RAW to JPEG conversion.

On the top is OOC JPEG, and at the bottom the same image tweaked in GIMP. I don't like the resulting colors :( The shot was done at twilight at iso 400, F3.6.

No comments:

Post a Comment