Monday 26 December 2011

Filters on Fujifilm X10


Fujifilm X10 camera has a very bright lenses with very big front element. It is good idea to put UV filter for protection, especially if you take pictures on a beach or play with supermacro mode. In supermacro mode camera can focus at very shot distance, and if you are really close you may hit the subject with the lenses. It does happen to me a couple time on windy weather. Unfortunately, adapter and hood combo from Fuji costs about 80 Australian dollars, which is a lot, so I opted for a generic step-up ring (40mm to 49mm) and thin 49mm UV filter. Please note that for the photo above I unscrewed both the step-up ring and filter to get the labels on the top, so the whole assembly is even more compact. The step-up ring goes in freely and sticks to the lenses firmly. There is a catch, unfortunately. I also got clip-on lens cap, but the thread on the filter is very narrow, and the cap hits the filter. I wish I can get old-style cap, similar to what Fuji provides with the camera. The standard filter will make the whole thing a couple mm longer but the cap will fit perfectly.

I may try 40mm UV filter if I can get one. In this case camera will be even more compact, and it would be possible to use the original cap from the camera.

Update. I added one image of the camera with the step-up ring and filter mounted on extended lens (camera switched on), and photo of lens thread next to step-up ring and filter stacked together.


On the photo above both the step-up ring and filter were unscrewed a little bit to show the labels.

6 comments:

  1. how did you attach the filters to the lens? Will it have the danger of scratching the barrel of the lens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a couple images to make it clear. The lens has the thread (see the last photo), and the step-up ring goes there. The thread on the camera is deeper than thread on step-up ring I got. It does not affect lens movements: once the camera switched off the step-up ring is placed next to external tube of the lens barrel. I have not observed any damage to the lens barrel.
    I am not sure if it is possible to use a filter directly on the lens without damaging of the front element. The step-up ring provides an extra space between the front element and the filter.
    As far as I know Fuji does not provide any information about thread size but it seems that 40mm step-up rings fits just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that at least some 40mm filters can be used on Fujifilm X10:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=39820534

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was so desperate for a filter for few weeks,and cant seem to find 1 that fits in my country. lucky for me, i found your post in flickr....without delaying i order 1 step up ring from heavystar n got myself a slim uv n cpl filter....thanks for sharing mate!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. no problem :-) Ain't the internet an amazing thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! spy camera

    ReplyDelete